The Bachman surname has several possible origins.
- A topographical name for "one who dwells by a stream," from the German bach for "brook" and mann for "man."
- From the Hebrew ben chayim, meaning "son of life."
Surname Origin: Hebrew, Dutch, German
Alternate Surname Spellings: BACHMANN, BAUGHMAN, BACKMAN, BOCKMAN, BOCKMANN, BECHMANN, BECHMEN, BECMAN, BAUCHMAN, BOUCHMAN
Famous People with the Last Name BACHMAN
- Michele Bachmann - founder of the U.S. Congressional Tea Party Caucus
- Randolph Charles "Randy" Bachman - Canadian musician; best known as lead guitarist, songwriter and a founding member of The Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Where is the BACHMAN Surname Most Common?
The Bachman surname, according to surname distribution information from Forebears, is somewhat less common, found most prevalently in the United States. Within the U.S., individuals named Bachman are found in greatest numbers in states with a high number of past German immigrants, including Pennsylvania and Iowa. It is also a lot more common in Poland, than in Germany. The Bachmann spelling is much more common in Switzerland and Germany, where it ranks 26th and 157th, respectively.
WorldNames PublicProfiler data demonstrates the same pattern, with Bachman most prevalent in the U.S. states of South Dakota, Pennsylvania, Nebraska and Iowa, as well as in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Genealogy Resources for the Surname BACHMAN
Bachman Family Crest - It's Not What You Think
Contrary to what you may hear, there is no such thing as a Bachman family crest or coat of arms for the Bachman surname. Coats of arms are granted to individuals, not families, and may rightfully be used only by the uninterrupted male line descendants of the person to whom the coat of arms was originally granted.
BACHMAN/BACHMANN/BAUGHMAN Y-DNA Project
The goal of the Bachman Y-DNA Project is to use DNA combined with traditional genealogy research to determine which of a number of descendants of Swiss and of early American Bachmann immigrants share common ancestors.
BACHMAN Family Genealogy Forum
This free message board is focused on descendants of Bachman ancestors around the world. Search the forum for posts about your Bachman ancestors, or join the forum and post your own queries.
FamilySearch - BACHMAN Genealogy
Explore over 360,000 results from digitized historical records and lineage-linked family trees related to the Bachman surname on this free website hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
GeneaNet - Bachman Records
GeneaNet includes archival records, family trees, and other resources for individuals with the Bachman surname, with a concentration on records and families from France and other European countries.
Ancestry.com: Bachman Surname
Explore over 490,000 digitized records and database entries, including census records, passenger lists, military records, land deeds, probates, wills and other records for the Bachman surname on the subscription-based website, Ancestry.com.
Sources: Surname Meanings & Origins
- Cottle, Basil. Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MD: Penguin Books, 1967.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Collins Celtic (Pocket edition), 1998.
- Fucilla, Joseph. Our Italian Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 2003.
- Hanks, Patrick and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Hanks, Patrick. Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Reaney, P.H. A Dictionary of English Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Smith, Elsdon C. American Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997.